Thursday, September 11, 2014

Remembering September 11th, 2001

I was a freshman in college and although it was always a ritual for me to listen or watch the news before class I was late and rushing to get to class.  Then as I walk to my class, passing the cafeteria I would normally go to, I began hearing screaming, faces in shock, mouths covered with both hands in horror and as I walked closer I see everyone swarmed around the Cafeteria TVs.

This was the visual I would never forget on the screen:

Headlines ran across the screen: "PLANE CRASHES INTO THE WORLD TRADE CENTER!"

"American Airlines Flight 77, Crashes into the Pentagon!"

       "BODIES JUMPING FROM THE TWIN TOWERS!"

I remember thinking, this just can't be! Those people! Those loved ones! WHY! WHY! WHY!
I also remember a fellow student rushing to dial a number so shaken up he drops his phone twice, someone ask if he's okay and all he says as he talks through his tears is, "My Sister works near there! I have to call her! She has to pick up!" I walked away in my own disbelief, tears ripping down my face as I remember thinking, I was suppose to go to New York, this same week! Would I have been near there? Feeling ashamed for my own selfish thoughts as those, who did loose their loves ones are feeling the actual shock of this pain, I pause.  Thank God for his blessings and send prayers to those families who have lost their loved ones.

Today I do that again as I have done every year since 2001, pray for those who lost their lives that day on Sept. 11th, 2001 and I pray for their families.


I was affriad to fly that year and the next but, Sept 2003, I finally made the trip to NY
 and paid my respects to Ground Zero.

UNITED WE STAND
-Love Lei

No comments:

Post a Comment